These are the links to the stories covered on the RLM News Show – September 12, 2013
- Dell holders approve CEO’s privatization plan – MarketWatch
- 5 Years Later, Wall Street Still Sucking Life Out of America Like Vampires at a Blood Drive
- Trader Joe’s Strip Part-Time Employees of Health Benefits
- H-E-B won’t cut hours for workers over mandates – San Antonio Express-News
- ‘China is taking a leap forward to control world currency’ — RT Op-Edge
- Prepare For Tough Times If Your Job Has Anything To Do With Real Estate Or Mortgages
- Five Years Later: 18 Dollars Of Debt For Every Dollar Of GDP; Total G7 Debt/GDP: 440% | Zero Hedge
- Monsanto, DuPont pour millions into GMO fight – POLITICO.com
- Trying To Stay Sane In An Insane World – At World’s End | SilverDoctors.com
- The Time is NOW | Real Liberty Media
- Has Questioning 9/11 become more Acceptable? | Global Research
- Is Merkel evoking ‘red scare’ in election? – Darrell Delamaide’s Political Capital – MarketWatch
- PressTV – Syrian militants and Israel get to keep WMDs
- Assad Lays Down His Conditions: “Deal Depends On US Stopping Aid To Terrorists” | Zero Hedge
- What Putin Has to Say to Americans About Syria – NYTimes.com
- Putin hits back at Obama’s claim US is ‘exceptional’ in controversial New York Times editorial | Mail Online
- Menendez says Putin op-ed made him want ‘to vomit’ (Video) – The Hill’s Video
- CIA-funded weapons begin to reach Syrian rebels – CNN.com
- Syria shells hit Israeli-occupied Golan: army – Yahoo News
- Libyan FM admits influx of weapons and gunmen from Libya to Syria- SANA, Syria
- PressTV – US military knew Syria militants had sarin gas: Document
- Securing Syria Toxic Weapons Confronts Months of Hurdles – Bloomberg
Documents reveal NSA didn’t know what they were doing
Director of National Intelligence James Clapper released hundreds of documents about the NSA’s telephone call surveillance program on Tuesday, the reports showed the oversight mechanism in place at the agency and at the FISA court. RT’s Sam Sacks dives deeper into the NSA documents with Marcy Wheeler, an investigative reporter with Emptywheel.net.
Links to other Important Stories I didn’t have time to cover on the show
- Syria Intelligence Being Manipulated EVEN MORE than in Iraq War | Washington’s Blog
- Yahoo CEO Mayer: we faced jail if we revealed NSA surveillance secrets | USAHM Conspiracy News
- Zuckerberg: US government ‘blew it’ on NSA surveillance | Technology | theguardian.com
- Activist Post: Forecasts of a Doomed Economy
- The Real Reason The Federal Government Is Coming Around On Marijuana Legalization – Liberty Crier
- Newtown approves gun ordinance restricting recreational shooting
- Florida man accused of ‘walking on wrong side of the road’ | The Raw Story
- Florida pastor arrested before he could burn 2,998 Qurans on anniversary of 9/11 attacks – The Washington Post
- Number of People Who Showed Up For “Million Muslim March” . . . 21 | Weasel Zippers
- Tallahassee police ‘stand by’ practices that broke woman’s face in violent arrest video | The Raw Story
- McAuliffe: ‘Gun Violence Going Down’ is ‘Not the Issue’
- The Daily Dot – The Internet mourns Tuxedo Stanley, beloved politician and pet cat
- Security of Java takes a dangerous turn for the worse, experts say | Ars Technica
- Why the NSA loves Google’s Chromebook | Ars Technica
- Hillary Clinton heckled on Benghazi during award ceremony – Washington Times
- Legislation introduced to repeal the War Powers Resolution | United Liberty | Free Market – Individual Liberty – Limited Government
- Smell the Truth » Increasing Calls for Washington Cities to Stop Banning Legal Pot
The Resident: Be Poor, Live Longer
Scientists recently studied residents of Costa Rica’s Nicoyan Peninsula, where people live longer lives than usual. Researchers studied the Nicoyans’ DNA and found the Nicoyans had longer telomeres. Longer telomeres correlate to longer lives. The scientists looked into many factors of why the Nicoyans live longer, and their research pointed to startling revelations: the Nicoyans don’t live long despite their poverty, but because of it. The Resident (aka Lori Harfenist) discusses.
More Americans Trust IRS Than Facebook with Privacy: Reason-Rupe Poll September 2013
Published on Sep 12, 2013
“More people trust the IRS than they did Facebook for protecting their privacy,” says Reason Foundation polling director Emily Ekins.
Ekins sat down with Reason TV’s Paul Detrick to disgust this interesting finding as well as others that were found in the Reason-Rupe poll for September 2013. The poll in part took a look at how Americans felt about privacy and National Security Agency surveillance.
A question was included in the poll to see whom Americans trusted more with their privacy: Facebook, the Internal Revenue Service, Google or the NSA. The IRS came in at 33 percent; Facebook at 11 percent. Ekins says the reasoning may have to do with the amount of private information Americans upload to the social networking site.
With revelations in the Guardian, the Washington Post and other news publications about the NSA collecting phone data and internet records, the poll also asked whether people thought of the surveillance as primarily fighting terrorism or as a violation privacy. A majority of Americans at 55 percent saw it as a violation of privacy, which is in line with other polls that have asked Americans about the NSA’s surveillance. Ekins says that independents, and particularly independents who lean Republican, were the most likely to say that the surveillance was a violation of privacy.
“And this is something that we often find in our polls, that a lot of libertarians are found in the group that identifies as independent, but they lean Republican,” says Ekins. “But to that point, a lot of civil libertarians are found in the independent group, but they lean left.
Permission to reprint in whole or in part is gladly granted, provided full credit and a link back to this post is given.